Thursday, June 12, 2008

gaby & kevin update


Well, I am more then a little behind the times in photos, stories, etc. But fortunately, I was able to see many of you while home and tell you face-to-face about what an amazing time I had with the River West team in Nuevo Renacer. Following will be a series of blog entries focusing on a few different aspects of the trip.

Of course I have to start with Gaby & Kevin. Many of you will remember my two special friends that I have seen literally blossom from painfully shy, timid kiddos on our first visit to two of the most out-going, smilingest, huggingest children in the community today. And our bond still stands. About 4 times of every day, Gaby would come up to me and hug me with all she had and then give me the hugest toothy smile. I would say, “Te amo!” (I love you) and she would say, “Se. Te amo tambien!” (I know. I love you to!) And then she would run off and play with the kids.

Kevin is getting big and turning into a boy and less of a little kid. He is more reserved and definitely seems to be testing his coolness wings. And yet, he would still sneak a moment and give me a hug and smile—but only when no one was looking!

These two little lives are kind of a marker of “success” for me in the community. Every visit I ask how healthy are Gaby & Kevin? How happy? How much do they know about God’s love for them? And every trip I am blown away by how beautiful these two children are. I know I only see them a brief time out of every year, and yet the health and growth is undeniable. Just look at these photos.
After every trip, I update photos of Gaby & Kevin in my house and every day I pray for them, for their parents Alfonso & Marta, their siblings, Maira, Carlos & Claudia and for the community of Nuevo Renacer. And every day I thank God for drawing us together under His banner of love.

No comments: