Saturday, January 26, 2008

what a little tlc can do






















While I was home for the holidays, a lot of you commented that you like photos--so I am making an effort to take more pictures along the way and post them. A lot of you also liked the photos of my house because it helped you imagine where I was living. Well, after two weeks of appliance shopping, deliveries, gifts of randomn furniture from friends, etc, etc. phase 1 of my new lil home is done! And I thought I would share some pics. Check out the original photos of the house here to get an idea of how far we have come in a short time! the house in October

It has been really cool to see how everything came together to create a space that I feel comfy in that I could also afford. It's been a lot like college, where you take whatever anyone gives you and just find ways to cover it up if it needs a little cutening. My brother Pat gave me $100 at Christmas and I went directly to IKEA and purchased as many cheap, cute curtains and fabrics as I could. In the end, I have used every piece of fabric in some way and each has brought a sweet, freshness to the house.
I started sleeping here about 2 weeks ago and without a stove or fridge my food options have been limited. Two years ago my mom gave me an electric kettle and Jenny Dale gave me an AWESOME Starbucks thermal french press. My cousin Randy gave me a Starbucks gift card and I purchased a burr grinder. So the top priority--GOOD coffee has greeted me every morning. Ahhh, life is good. And I was also able to use the kettle to heat up water for oatmeal or ramen--yes, there are sooo many ways my life is similar to college right now. And Michelle gave me a ton of kitchen stuff that allows me to eat, cut things, dry my dishes and many of those "must haves" that just add up.
I was surprised initially to learn that I had to buy ALL my appliances. Think about that in a rental! And appliances are generally more expensive here then in the states. Gulp! But God truly provided everything that I needed, all for great prices. Yesterday I made iced tea--using my stove and my fridge. It was the tasty tea ever!
Dave & Jenny gave me a great big desk that has been a life saver to work from. I splurged a tiny bit and bought a new bed--rather then used from downtown markets--hoping to save my back from future problems and because honestly I am afraid of bed bugs. So I have been sleeping soundly. I also hung a cable curtain rod and have photos of all my friends, so every day I remember that they are all with me in spirit.
Even the weird "closet room" that initially freaked me out--why does one need an entire room for a closet?--has been an unknown blessing because I don't need any bedroom furniture. Everything I own can fit in 1/4 of the closet, including clothes, camping gear, hardware, luggage, everything!
And finally the walls were all painted in shades of warm yellow--sounds scary but looks great! And yes, that is me waving at you in my tiny bathroom.
Again, thank you for your prayers, contributions, etc. It's always so important for me to feel cozy at home, but I also wanted to create a space where guests could come and feel welcome. Everything here has been kept on the cheap, but I have been able to purchase every must have item. What a blessing!

4 comments:

Bethany Fegles Photography said...

Thanks for sharing so many pictures of your home! We love getting a snap shot into your world there and hearing about your weekly adventures!! Love you!

wendyrella said...

That looks like your grandma house in Sellwood. Are you trying to dupe us?

Katherine Gray said...

Your house is adorable! What freaked you out about a giant closet room?!! People pay $$$ to get those in the states! ;)

wendyrella said...

um, more info please. what? are you busy? do i have to call you out in spanish?

donde esta el bano?