Tuesday, July 1, 2008

thanks, again

Well, it’s been a crazy few months! I’m finally settling back into life in El Salvador. I haven’t written in a while and thought I would say hi. HI EVERYBODY!

Gratitude:
First I need to document some thoughts about how very thankful I am. Truly God continues to be so near to me and provide over and above all that I need. Truly, truly, truly. Again, I feel the need to share a just few of these things with you:
  • Time Home – My time home in May/June was simply a delight. I got to spend so much great time with family & friends and ate so much great food. I got to explore some of Oregon’s beauty and got to drink my share of Stumptown. I even got to work at Cathy’s store, Olio United and earn some cute clothes. And of course, although I was teased a bit by friends, I was happily able to go to River West for all three services almost every Sunday I was home. It was soooo good to be surrounded by friends, to worship together, hear Guy & Adam preach live and in person and to just rest in my home church. Thanks to all you River Westers for just being such an amazing family of faith to me!

  • New Roomie – While I was home, I asked folks to pray a lot for my sense of loneliness—it has really been weighing on me over the last couple months. Barb & Gerry Friesen said, “Tina, you need a friend. Someone to hang out with, that really loves God, is strong in their faith, etc. We are going to pray for that!” And this week a new roommate came way. Ashley is a young woman from California from Vanguard that has a huge heart for Central America (she lived in Costa Rica for 3 years after high school!) and is helping us out with our teams for the summer. She is sweet and funny and loves God and has already been a real joy and blessing. So, that is one more friend in El Salvador that is in a similar space to me. So cool!

  • The Voice of Jesus by Gordon Smith – I have been in El Salvador 9 months and my initial commitment to ENLACE was for 1 year minimum. As I get closer to that date, I am praying a lot about what to do. Two weeks ago, I looked on my book shelf for something to read and saw The Voice of Jesus jump out at me. Many River Westers will have already read this great book on discernment and hearing the Spirit speak in our lives because Guy has praised it for a few years now. Well, this was just the right time to re-read and be reminded of the hope and joy that I get to live in and how to keep hearing God amidst all the other noise in my life. Truly it has been the perfect book at the perfect time. Thanks again for the recommendation Guy & Jonathan for the study guide!

Prayer Needs:


  • Decisions -As I said above, I am trying to decide if I want to remain in El Salvador past this October or return home. This is a difficult decision and I find myself at times feeling quite overwhelmed about it. Please pray that I continue to listen for whatever call is on my life and that pride, fear and distrust would not cover the truth of whatever step I have ahead of me. One thing I can be thankful about is this—I have two wonderful options: 1. Stay in El Salvador and continue to be a part of God’s heart to transform and empower communities here or 2. Return to Portland, find a job and be part of God’s heart to transform and empower communities in Portland. Heck, maybe there is even an option where I get to do both! Wouldn’t that be something?! Anyway, your prayers, emails, etc. really help encourage me, keep my eyes on God and not myself and trust enough for each day.

  • Spanish - I have come a long way in my Spanish, but still have such a long way to go. It’s hard to stay motivated at times and hard to stay disciplined to keep myself in the books and having the courage to just speak. I could really use your prayers in this area, as well as your help in staying accountable. If you think of it, email me at some point in the next month and ask me if I studied every day. Ask me if I really focused. Ask me if I had any kind of conversation with someone totally in Spanish. Ask me if I stepped out of my comfort zone again and just trusted God to provide whatever I needed in that conversation. Or better yet, email me in Spanish. That would be super rad!

  • Project Milagro - This month I spent a little time in the community of Las Delicias and was again touched by the gracious love that we see in that community. People here just treat one another differently--with a common love and respect that I admire and try to replicate in my community. This is the community where ENLACE has been trying to raise funds for a very large water project. So far we have been raising money, but not at the rate we hoped. And yet, we see God so active in that community, that we are confident that he will bless this effort of so many faithful people. It would be so huge if all the folks on this list committed to pray for this project and for Las Delicias. To learn more about this amazing project and maybe even donate something, visit http://www.projectmilagro.com/ . Truly we have seen God produce amazing results with donations or any size, commitment to prayer and hearts that believe how very big our God is and trust him to accomplish great and beautiful things!

Thanks again for all of your support along this journey!

No comments: